Sunday, October 6, 2019

Martin Scorsese say Marvel movies are not that great

Marvel directors are assembling in defense of their superhero movies after a bit of criticism from legendary director Martin Scorsese.

The Departed Oscar winner dismissed the MCU as “not cinema” during an interview while promoting his upcoming gangster epic The Irishman.

Asked if he’s watched the films, the director told Empire: “I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

The Avengers director Joss Whedon replied on Twitter that he sees Scorsese’s point, though also (rather humbly) noted Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn‘s work as an exception: “I first think of @JamesGunn, how his heart & guts are packed into GOTG. I revere Marty, & I do see his point, but… Well there’s a reason why ‘I’m always angry'” (the latter a reference to Bruce Banner’s famous Avengers line).

Gunn himself also had a response: “Martin Scorsese is one of my 5 favorite living filmmakers. I was outraged when people picketed The Last Temptation of Christ without having seen the film. I’m saddened that he’s now judging my films in the same way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment